FL Studio 10 has introduced a new vst effects plugin called ‘Pitcher’ described by Image Line as ‘a real-time pitch-correction and manipulation plugin’ similar to Auto-tune Evo.
First, We need to establish from the get go that Pitcher only works with monophonic or single note sounds and the less vibrato the better the results. Using Pitcher involves loading it as an effect into a mixer channel insert so it receives an un-affected audio signal or line. From here you have choices; you can use Pitcher in ‘Automatic’ mode which rescales the pitches automatically as set by your parameter tweaks. Or, you can rescale and harmonise a line by choosing from the available midi options found in the drop down menu under ‘Scaling Mode’. To use Pitcher in any of the midi modes you must first select the mode, then click on the plugin’s settings icon (the cog wheel icon) and under ‘Settings’ select an Input/Output of your choice (this must be a free midi port through which Pitcher can receive midi information) say, Input/Output 1. Go back to the plugin interface by clicking the cog wheel icon again. The next step involves loading a ‘Midi Out’ channel which will communicate with the plugin. So, go to ‘Channels’ – ‘Add One’ – ‘Midi Out’ a new Midi Out channel appears. Click on the Midi Out channel and set the ‘Port’ to 1. To change the name of the midi out simply right click and choose ‘Rename’. Right click the channel and choose the ‘Piano Roll’ option. The piano roll will load. That’s it! itcher will now receive mid data. Now you can use midi notes to rescale the audio part and compose up to 3 part harmonies of the line. Get creative!
Here is a breakdown of the Pitcher plugin options and features:
- Scaling Mode-
- Automatic – Pitches are rescaled to the active notes automatically.
- MIDI Scaling – MIDI notes will scale the incoming audio to the note in the detected octave.
- MIDI (Use octave) – MIDI notes will scale the incoming audio to the note AND octave played.
- MIDI harmonizing – Up to 3 MIDI notes will scale the incoming audio to the note/s AND octave/s played.
- Pitch reference – Select which input channel L, R or Independent, is used for pitching.
- Bypass All – Disables Pitcher.
- FSP – Formant Shift Preservation. A formant is a resonance or peak in the frequency spectrum of a sound. It’s most commonly used to describe the throat, mouth and nasal cavity resonances in the human voice. Since the resonance is related to size and shape of these cavities, formants are a major aural cue to the age and sex of a speaker. FSP maintains a constant formant as the pitch is varied from the original (particularly useful in MIDI mode).
- Scale – Selects the notes to be activated and used for pitching. Pitches that fall on notes not included in the scale will be shifted to the nearest note in the scale.
- A3 – Tuning. You can adjust the frequency of A3 (440 Hz) to other reference scales.
- Frequency Monitor – Shows the detected input pitch as a purple scrolling line.
- Notes (C to B) – When selected a note can be used in pitching input audio. When deselected input is pitched to the nearest active note.
- Bypass – Input pitches falling in the capture zone for the note will pass un-corrected.
- Correction Speed – Fast settings sound more artificial, slower settings more natural.
- Chorus – Creates a chorus effect.
- Stereo – Detunes the L and R channels respectively.
- Fine tune – Adjust the output tuning of the plugin +/- 50 cents (1/2 a semitone).
- Smart quantizing – Improves pitch tracking stability when the input has vibrato.
‘Pitcher’ is not free. It is issued in demo mode with FL Studio 10 with all saving options muted. The plugin needs to be purchased through the Image-Line store. Currently, ‘itcher’ is bundled with an upgraded release of ‘NewTone’ (released vesion 9.7 beta) on a ‘Pay what you think it’s worth’ basis with an unbelievable minimum purchase price of $12 for both plugins! available here. Hurry though before Image-Line change their mind!
If you do not own FL already, then I recommend you try the fully functional demo and get ‘hands on’ with the creative possibilities that are waiting for you. Enjoy!
A fully functional demo of FL Studio is available for download. Should you purchase FL Studio you will receive Life-Time Free Updates to all future versions of the product. Spend a minimum of $90 on ANY Image-Line products and receive a 10% reduction…
Brought to you courtesy of Soundwrx Digital